Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Between Art and Craft

An Revelation in Understanding of Art


Last Saturday was a day to be remembered because I reached an epiphany in the understanding of art. My ceramics teacher had a brief discussion with me regarding factors in creation of art. This talk was a continuation from the topic of centering versus off-centering pots, from the previous post. My teacher described he has seen artists making life-like clay figurines, modeled after birds, trees, down to the details of feathers and everything. One could mistakenly think the clay figurines are real birds or animals from afar. However, is there any value in this close resemblance to living creatures? Does a life-like bird figurine move its audience emotionally at all? What could one say about a creation as such beside “It’s neat”? The distinction between art and craft lies in the answers to these questions.

After class, I was sent to a near-by gallery, Trax, by my instructor who has informed the gallery owner/artist the week before about my curiosity in off-centered ceramics artwork. When I arrived at Trax, Mr. Robert Brady was working on throwing pots without water, so his wife received me and answered some of my questions in methods of making off-centered pots. Visiting Trax is an inspirational experience to me. I was truly amazed and touched by some of the art pieces on display in the gallery. I am so determined to make my pots functional art pieces from now on.

http://www.traxgallery.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home