Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Finding Harmony in Color

Project Name: Iron Red Flower Pot with Celadon
Clay Type (high fire): B-Mix
Glaze (cone 10): iron red, Celadon, matt white, black underglaze

Many times, two beautiful colors may not be the best match for each other. I have a rich glossy iron red glaze for the exterior of this flower pot and a smooth green Celadon for the interior. Although both glazes are beautiful and turned out nicely after high fire, I felt the color combination of red and green does not seem to be in perfect harmony.

I will try glossy black for the interior next time; however, I will refuse to coat inside of this bowl with iron red. There is no fun with a lack of contract. Anyhow, this recipe may become useful in December when X'MAS comes. Red and green are the right colors for Christmas, after all.


2 Comments:

At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, My name is Chris and I work at Help.com. One of our site members sent me a question and after reading your blog I thought you might have the expertise to help me answer it. Here's the question: "how can i make acrylic paints permanent on a ceramic mug? I’m painting a ceramic mug with acrylic paints to give away as a present... but i realized if I wash and then wipe the paint with a towel, the paint comes off... I would like to know how i can make these paints permanent without having to buy a certain product... can I put it in the oven? If so... for how long and at what temperature? Or can I cover the paints with a layer of clear nail polish or something?"
If you have any info on resources to answer this question, I would be appreciative. Thanks!

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger fOrget AboUt PaSt said...

Hello Chris,

I am afraid I won't be much help to you. Potters like me, don't use acrylic paints at all, and as far as I know, one should never fire (we don't use the term "bake") bisquewares with acrylic paints. There may be some kind of varnish for acrylic, but you would have to contact an art supply store for more information. Anyhow, I would recommend your member not to use this mug for any food product, microwave, or dishwasher.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home